Earth is being overrun with fascists and scumbags, but the resistance lives! Join Eric P for another long-awaited missive on Trump, political discourse, economics, education, killer robots, and hip-hop. No show notes this time -- just listen and enjoy!
Feedback please -- @DukeSkath
- Ta-Nehisi Coates: My President Was Black
- Ten Days After: Harassment and Intimidation in the Aftermath of the Election
- Out of options: School choice gutted Detroit’s public schools. The rest of the country is next.
- How Rex Tillerson Changed His Tune on Russia and Came to Court Its Rulers
- Kissinger, a longtime Putin confidant, sidles up to Trump
- Trump private security force ‘playing with fire’
- Israel settlements: Netanyahu orders UN ties review
- Obama Allows Toothless UN Resolution Against Israeli Settlements to Pass
- Three charged in Kansas plot to bomb homes, worship center for Somalis
- Bundy Brothers Acquitted in Takeover of Oregon Wildlife Refuge
- Doctor Accuses Flight Attendant of 'Blatant Discrimination' During Emergency
- Report: More than half of mentally ill U.S. adults get no treatment
- Geologists: Here’s what caused Kansas’ biggest earthquake
- Majority of potential UK fracking sites are rich in important wildlife
- Indonesia President Jokowi Defends LGBT Rights
- It Turns Out Spending More Probably Does Improve Education
- Teen accused of stealing 65-cent carton of milk at middle school to stand trial
- Understanding Teacher Shortages (Interactive Map of the US)
Killer Robots, Etc
- Killer robots await Trump’s verdict: The new president will have to decide how aggressively the U.S. pursues military technology that could let machines
- Will robots help or harm? It's time for 'big thinking,' AI experts warn
- Trailer: Eye in the Sky
- Robot goes rogue at tech fair, injures visitor
- Mind-controlled robotic arm helps paralyzed patients 'feel'
- Dangers Posed by Lax Motorists in Autonomous Vehicles Draw Scrutiny
- Las Vegas is now completely powered by renewable energy
To confront the existential horror of President Trump, I'm joined by my longtime activist friend Sofia Ali-Khan. We discuss our lives as progressive rabble-rousers, educators, and Americans. We sort through the problems we face and some concrete steps for action. Let's get to work, everybody!
Links to things we discussed:
- Sofia Ali-Khan: Dear Non-Muslim Allies
- NYT: The white flight of Derek Black (New College > white supremacy)
- Eric S. Piotrowski: 10 Things Every American Should Do When a New President is Elected
- Eric S. Piotrowski: What Conscience and Honesty Demands of All Americans
- Arto Lindsay: "Simply Are"
This week is a random mish-mash of stuff, from mindfulness to Trump. I haven't been saving news articles because the first month of school is always insane. But I still have things to talk about!
For our 100th episode, we've got something very special: Nothing! (We'll do something special, like a live recording, another time.) Instead, here's a fun-filled breakneck journey through Obama's feminism, Trump's psychosis, TayBot's love for Hitler, and awesome hip-hop from French-Chilean rapper Ana Tijoux. Enjoy!
After a hiatus of more than eight months, the Didactic SynCast is back. Join me for a conversation with legendary author and activist Sarah Schulman. We discuss her new novel The Cosmopolitans (based on La Cousine Bette by Honoré de Balzac), the ACT UP Oral History Project, the Boycott/Divest/Sanctions Movement, writing, politics, life, and a dozen other topics.
- United In Anger: A History of ACT UP on iTunes